Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife and I separated in October 2016: (i) how do I claim for payments made to her in 2016 and; (ii) how do I transfer my 2016 tax records into a new/separate filing?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I separated in October 2016: (i) how do I claim for payments made to her in 2016 and; (ii) how do I transfer my 2016 tax records into a new/separate filing?

1. If you have already filed your 2016 tax return, you will need to make a T1 Adjustment with CRA. You will need a copy of your Court Order or Written Agreement and proof of payment to submit. 

An adjustment can be made online if you are signed up for CRA's My Account Service, or by completing the following form;  https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t1-adj.html and sending to your Tax Services Office.

2. If you were separated in 2016, your 2016 tax returns should have been prepared separately in TurboTax, stating that you were "Separated" on Dec. 31st, 2016. When you carry your own return forward, it should only have your information on it. 

If your returns were not completed separately and you did not specify you were separated on Dec 31st, you should let CRA know of the change in Marital Status (if they have not been notified already) and begin a new return with your marital status as "Separated"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

1. If you have already filed your 2016 tax return, you will need to make a T1 Adjustment with CRA. You will need a copy of your Court Order or Written Agreement and proof of payment to submit. 

An adjustment can be made online if you are signed up for CRA's My Account Service, or by completing the following form;  https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t1-adj.html and sending to your Tax Services Office.

2. If you were separated in 2016, your 2016 tax returns should have been prepared separately in TurboTax, stating that you were "Separated" on Dec. 31st, 2016. When you carry your own return forward, it should only have your information on it. 

If your returns were not completed separately and you did not specify you were separated on Dec 31st, you should let CRA know of the change in Marital Status (if they have not been notified already) and begin a new return with your marital status as "Separated"