Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5008 slips imported from CRA.

Turbotax pulled all T5008 slips from CRA. One of them is for sale of shares in a non-registered account that was contributed to TFSA in kind.

Can you confirm that I should not be including this particular T5008 (it was a capital loss) in my return?

Thanks

3 Replies

Yes, you should include the T5008. If you sold shares in a non-registered account, you can claim the loss. What you did with the proceeds doesn't matter.

Just to be clear, the shares in the non-registered account was contributed into TFSA. So I am not sure they are technically "sold". It is not like I sold them and then contributed the cash to TFSA. And then bought same shares in TFSA.

There was a T5008 slip pulled in by Turbotax regardless. I need guidance on whether I should include it in my return or not. Also, if I need to include it, how do I pull that in again from CRA?

Thank you very much for quick responses, I appreciate them

What you did with the money after disposing of the shares doesn't matter, because you still had a disposition from a non-registered account. The rules for TFSA, RRSP or other registered account don't apply to this transaction. 

If you need to get the slip back, you can run Auto-Fill again, or just manually enter it on the T5008 page.