Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pilotitis

If there was an error in my 2015 return, should I still transfer information from 2015 to 2016?

My husbands RRSP contributions were not taken into consideration because I inadvertently clicked on something that said he was part of a 'communal organization'.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If there was an error in my 2015 return, should I still transfer information from 2015 to 2016?

When you transfer information in TurboTax, it includes a number of different things such as personal information (name, SIN, address etc.), profile information (language preference, citizenship etc.), and carry-forward amounts. If you choose to transfer your information, there shouldn't be any issue with your personal and profile information, but your carry-forward amounts will be incorrect. You have the option of manually correcting your carryforward amounts. Just make sure that you know what the correct amounts are using the corrected 2015 tax return. In your case, it seems that your RRSP contribution limit numbers should be different from what would get transferred automatically. Just double-check all the carryforward amounts after you transfer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
cls72

Is there a list of ALL information / fields that are transferred from a previous Tax Year?

When you transfer information in TurboTax, it includes a number of different things such as personal information (name, SIN, address etc.), profile information (language preference, citizenship etc.), and carry-forward amounts. If you choose to transfer your information, there shouldn't be any issue with your personal and profile information, but your carry-forward amounts will be incorrect. You have the option of manually correcting your carryforward amounts. Just make sure that you know what the correct amounts are using the corrected 2015 tax return. In your case, it seems that your RRSP contribution limit numbers should be different from what would get transferred automatically. Just double-check all the carryforward amounts after you transfer.