Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LG5

I rented the basement of someone's house the full year of 2017, and it is the only place I had. Is that considered my principal residence?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I rented the basement of someone's house the full year of 2017, and it is the only place I had. Is that considered my principal residence?

Actually the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) defines principal residence as any residential property both owned and occupied by you or family at any time in a given year.

The principal residence exception is used for tax purposes to shelter any increases in property value from being subject to capital gains when sold, like other investments.

In your case since you are renting you would not be declaring a principal residence for tax purposes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Actually the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) defines principal residence as any residential property both owned and occupied by you or family at any time in a given year.

The principal residence exception is used for tax purposes to shelter any increases in property value from being subject to capital gains when sold, like other investments.

In your case since you are renting you would not be declaring a principal residence for tax purposes.