Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the BC Renter's Tax Credit, under "Rent Paid at address" should I enter the total for the year or the monthly rent amount?

Please see this government of British Columbia link to find out more about the B.C. renter's tax credit. If you are eligible for the credit you may have to do an adjustment on your return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ble1235

For the BC Renter's Tax Credit, under "Rent Paid at address" should I enter the total for the year or the monthly rent amount?

If you have become a deemed resident after being a resident of BC in 2023 for more than 6 months and are eligible for this return, the option to add this is not available. Any suggestions on next steps?

I did the live review with a TurboTax expert and they told me a different answer. They said that I should enter the amount I pay per month, not the total for the year. 

It's so annoying because all of this confusion could have been avoided by just writing (annual or monthly) and also the part that askes the amount of months living in this place. They could instead have specified how many months in this year have you been living in this place. Totally avoidable. The web designer must have been stoned or something when he designed that section. I wrote my annual amount paid as the admin specified. Hoping I dont have issues down the road. 🤞

We have sent this out to our engineers- we appreciate your feedback. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ZaidaVi52

Hello, can I claim this credit if I never signed an agreement? I pay rent on a monthly basis and have proof, however. Thanks.

@ZaidaVi52 If you have a verbal agreement, then yes, you can claim the credit.

ZaidaVi52

Perfect, thanks.

BCG1
Returning Member

If I’m using a portion of my home for business and claim it as an expense for self-employed, will I still be able to claim the BC Renter’s credit?

Budee

Hi! If we are renting a townhouse & my adult kids share in paying the rent, are they eligible to claim this credit? They are included in our rental agreement.