Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the BC Renter's Tax Credit, under "Rent Paid at address" should I enter the total for the year or the monthly rent amount?

Also, under "number of months of tenancy at this address" is it asking for just in 2023 or ever?
20 Replies

For the BC Renter's Tax Credit, under "Rent Paid at address" should I enter the total for the year or the monthly rent amount?

You would enter the total amount of rent you paid for the year, and the number of months you lived there in 2023.

Thank you! My rent is an amount plus I pay a percentage of utilities, should I include that?

If you pay utilities separate from your rent, then you would not include them.

just confirming, cause that section is not really well written. I put the annual amount i paid and i only put 12 months as opposed to my total months living here (17months)?

That is correct. You will write your rent amount X 12 months and write 12 months is what you lived there during the 2023 tax season.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Sweet thanks for the reply, I have one more question regarding this tax Credit. I was wondering if I am eligible, I live in staff housing at a resort. The rent amount is automatically deducted from my pay on my payslip. I have never signed a rental agreement or anything of that sort. I do have my pay slips to prove the deduction and that I am infact renting, marked as (Rent Ded). Am I eligible?

@zasthrax  Check your employment contract, it might mention your rent situation. If so, you can claim your rent if you had to pay it, or if your employer paid and included it in your income. 

Awesome, thanks

Hi, can anyone tell me what to do for the BC Renter's Tax Credit? When I set up my 2023 tax return, the site did not give me the option to select it and I ended up filing without filling anything out for this credit. At first, I thought I didn't have to but then I saw this message that the person posting did fill something out and now I'm extremely confused. Thank you.