Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgm789

From T776 doen't allow me to enter a negative number into "Annual Gross Rents". I have a negative gross rents as my losses were larger than rents. Please advise.

Uncollectable rent was larger than my collected rent for the year, therefore I have a negative "Annual Gross Rent". The field will not let me enter a negative number. 

CRA's bulletin on Rental Income T4036(E) Rev. 22, does not have any stipulations that the number entered into "Annual Gross Rent" must be larger than zero. Excerpt:
"Rental losses
You have a rental loss if your rental expenses are more than your gross rental income. If you incur the expenses to earn income, you can deduct your rental loss against your other sources of income."

1) Please advise on how to enter a negative number; or
2) Provide a work around and instructions as to where to enter the negative gross rent amount (loss)
1 Reply

From T776 doen't allow me to enter a negative number into "Annual Gross Rents". I have a negative gross rents as my losses were larger than rents. Please advise.

Have you tried entering the amount in parentheses (4800.00) or (4800)? If this doesn't work, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.