Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Growing up in a foreign country (Germany), I still have a foreign investment that is tax-free there ("Kapitallebensversicherung"). How do I report that in TurboTax?

This "Kapitallebensversicherung" is a life insurance that invests my contributions in the stock market. In Germany, it grows my contributions tax free (similar to an RRSP). Should I live until the end of the contract (2032), it will pay out my contributions and any dividend or capital gains back to me. Until then it's locked. I have been in Canada for decades and reported that to the German tax office. Therefore, they consider me a "tax foreigner" in Germany and do not require me to submit a German tax report. How would I report this on my Canadian tax report?
1 Reply

Growing up in a foreign country (Germany), I still have a foreign investment that is tax-free there ("Kapitallebensversicherung"). How do I report that in TurboTax?

I would contact the CRA to check how to report the Kapitallebensversicherung, as it might not need to be reported as part of the Germany/Canada tax treaty.

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency