Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello where do I enter the amount for my rent assist payment received - line 6126 Manitoba credits? I have looked and can't seem to find it. Thx

If you received "Shelter Allowance benefits these are considered as "Rent Aid" and must be reported. If you paid the rent include the total amount  of rent that you paid in the housing area. If you paid a portion of the rent and any other government program shared this cost you can claim the portion they paid in the total rent under housing. If you are sharing rent with others then only one tenant can claim all  the rent paid for the home and would need to split the credit with roommates.

hshukeir

Hello where do I enter the amount for my rent assist payment received - line 6126 Manitoba credits? I have looked and can't seem to find it. Thx

still cant figure this out. I complete return using forms and cant figure out which form to use to enter this field. Used to be line 6126 of form MB479 in prior to 2019 version

In order to help you with this situation, I believe one of our telephone support agents would be able to help you better as they can view your screen and guide you.

To contact us please follow the link below. 

TurboTax Online & CD/Download users (paid and free)

On this screen, you will need to go to TurboTax Online & CD/Download users (paid and free) then click on Contact us online/via phone and then on Contact Us form. Once you go through the steps and complete the form, the phone number to speak to a TurboTax agent will appear on the page.

Thank you for your patience.

SettlerJen
Returning Member

I am having the same issue in 2020, however this solution does not show up when I go through the steps. Help!

Sallan

I followed all the steps, clicking the education property tax credit and the MB school tax credit boxes , but I don't get the option to enter rent aid. I have called Turbo tax twice to get professional advise regarding this and both times the agents didn't know how to do this - pls help !

AH2004
Returning Member

Since they separated Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit from the renters portion, the rent assist box no longer exists. Where are we to enter the amount received for rent assist? @TurboTaxGinette 

If you live in Manitoba and receive "Rent Assist" you should get  a T5007 - Statement of Benefits  - This will be found in the left menu in your return and claimed under INCOME - T-SLIPS -T5007 complete this slip. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

AH2004
Returning Member

@TurboTaxGinette  for 2022, they made changes separating the education property tax portion and the renters portion. In MB we have never received T5007s for rent assist (only for social assistance). When we log into our CRA account, it shows the amount of rent assist received, but no official T slip. I went into the T5007 portion of the tax return on TurboTax and there isn't a box to enter rent assist.

So there must be a different way to claim rent assist. Do I reduce the total rent paid by the rent assist portion?

In order to help you with this request, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance please call 1-888-829-8608.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I called on [phone number removed] but she did not have any answer for Manitoba Rent Assist option in turbotax. She advised to go for expert advise which is not a solution because we don't need advise. I am looking for option to report rent assist amount I received from MB province, which is more of a product question then advise from tax expert. I am disappointed that TuboTax does not have clarity on this.