Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to value assets used as rental products (for wedding industry)

I run a wedding planning and decor rental company. I am trying to figure out whether and how to value the products that I rent to customers. They are primarily decorative things, as well as dinnerware and some furniture. Seems like Class 12 assets is most appropriate? Many of these items were purchased or transferred as used products. To calculate fair market value, do I base it on what I would get by selling them in their current state? Or the revenue from renting them before they are written off? or the original purchase cost as if they were new? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi

From what you have said Class 12 seems correct.

For the fair market value, it would be either the actual cost, for items that were purchased in the year.  The balance of the 'transferred' items would be the Fair Market Value - for what you would have paid for them had they been a purchase.

Christine

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Hi

From what you have said Class 12 seems correct.

For the fair market value, it would be either the actual cost, for items that were purchased in the year.  The balance of the 'transferred' items would be the Fair Market Value - for what you would have paid for them had they been a purchase.

Christine