Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guille

Can you expense your whole cell phone bill on your rental property as a rental expense t776?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can you expense your whole cell phone bill on your rental property as a rental expense t776?

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. You can deduct cell phone expenses from your income, however, you need distinguish your personal usage from your business use (i.e. as a percentage). You can deduct the entire amount only if you use your cell phone strictly for business purposes (in this case, earning rental income).

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. You can deduct cell phone expenses from your income, however, you need distinguish your personal usage from your business use (i.e. as a percentage). You can deduct the entire amount only if you use your cell phone strictly for business purposes (in this case, earning rental income).

guille

Thank you Samar, if I just send texts and make a call or two a month would you think 20% of the total bill  is a reasonable number?

Hello,

Under which category of expenses would this one fall under?

@guille It would depend on what your total usage is. You also would need some way of backing up your claim if the CRA asks you about it.

@marieeve1030 You can enter your cell phone expenses in the "Telephone and utilities" box.