Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h_schmidt

How do I input two separate rental properties, one for each of the spouses which are solely owned by each of the individual??

Program will not allow me to input two rental properties without them ending up with the same income and expenses. They both are identified as sole owned, not partnership.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I input two separate rental properties, one for each of the spouses which are solely owned by each of the individual??

To assign one rental to each spouse, ensure that the first screen in the rental section (Rental Property) has boxes checked beside each spouse indicating each has income from a rental property. 

After the information for the first spouse is entered, a screen titled "Spouse's Name":T776 Rental Identification will appear. This screen has the option to choose to pre-fill the other spouse's rental property information. Select the option "None" from the drop-down menu.

This will assign the proper, separate values for income/expenses related to each property to the individual spouse.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I am assuming the returns are joined.  Try leaving the ownership percentage blank rather than filling in 100% ownership on each return.  That seems to confuse the software.
h_schmidt

I did not input a percentage, software will not allow a percentage if sole owner

To assign one rental to each spouse, ensure that the first screen in the rental section (Rental Property) has boxes checked beside each spouse indicating each has income from a rental property. 

After the information for the first spouse is entered, a screen titled "Spouse's Name":T776 Rental Identification will appear. This screen has the option to choose to pre-fill the other spouse's rental property information. Select the option "None" from the drop-down menu.

This will assign the proper, separate values for income/expenses related to each property to the individual spouse.

h_schmidt

I did chose none and it still populated the first spouses income and expenses. Maybe it is a problem with the program