Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am doing my mother inlaw's 2023 taxes , she passed away end of year. Can she claim the rent she paid for the year? her total earnings were 25000. and rent paid 14000.?

5 Replies

I am doing my mother inlaw's 2023 taxes , she passed away end of year. Can she claim the rent she paid for the year? her total earnings were 25000. and rent paid 14000.?

If she lives in a province that has a rent credit, then yes you can.

Ontario 

Where about do you claim that?

It had mentioned in the trillium section but says can't claim that if passed

You can find the rent credit as part of the Ontario Trillium Benefit in the Provincial section. 

Unfortunately, your mother in law doesn't qualify for the 2024 Ontario Trillium Benefit.

Thank you for the replies yes I was kind of thinking it was in the Trillium and her not being eligible thanks for the confirmation.

Your welcome and feel free to ask if any other help is needed.

We are sorry for your loss and thank you for choosing TurboTax.