Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iman_day

I moved to the USA for good In September 2017. For the first 8 months, I was resident of Quebec and Canada. Where should I put my departure date from Canada?

I moved to the USA for good in September 2017. For the first 8 months of the year, I was resident of Quebec and Canada, and I received foreign income as well as Canadian income. After departure, I did not receive Canadian income anymore. While I'm considered non-resident on December 31, 2017, I still need to enter my Quebec R1 data for the first 8 months of the year. I can't seem to find the place where I can put my emigration date from Canada and Quebec R1 info after selecting a non-resident. The only way to put the emigration date is to choose "resident of Quebec on December 31, 2017", which doesn't seem right. Any suggestion on how to put the departure date from Canada?

5 Replies

I moved to the USA for good In September 2017. For the first 8 months, I was resident of Quebec and Canada. Where should I put my departure date from Canada?

I moved to the USA for good in September 2017. For the first 8 months of the year, I was resident of Quebec and Canada, and I received foreign income as well as Canadian income. After departure, I did not receive Canadian income anymore. While I'm considered non-resident on December 31, 2017, I still need to enter my Quebec R1 data for the first 8 months of the year........You will also a federal T4 slip with the RL1 if you earned Canadian income.

I can't seem to find the place where I can put my emigration date from Canada and Quebec R1 info after selecting a non-resident. The only way to put the emigration date is to choose "resident of Quebec on December 31, 2017", which doesn't seem right. Any suggestion on how to put the departure date from Canada?

Follow instructions from the link below to assist you in determining your residency status prior to filing your Canadian Tax Return, this will help you in determining what foreign income you need to claim as well( if any):

Residency status when preparing a return in TurboTax:

And because we have a tax treaty with the USA, here is how to enter in that income/investment if needed:

How do I enter foreign income that is subject to a tax treaty?

Hi,

Can anyone answer the original poster's question? The reply does not actually answer how/where to enter the date of emigration. I have the same issue. I emigrated from Canada during 2022 but the only way to enter the date of leaving is by saying I was a resident of Ontario on December 31st, 2022 which is incorrect.

Thanks.

We have replied to  you on another link. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

amacfarl
Returning Member

I permanently moved to the USA in August 2023 with my spouse.  I enrolled for full service taxes but it's not letting me get past the address on Dec 31, 2022 for my spouse. It's not letting me save that he was out of the country.  

@amacfarl Unfortunately, Full Service can't do returns for Non-resident or expatriate returns.