Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't have the items listed (ie. "sold stocks, bonds...; sold home" etc.) but insists I need to upgrade to Premier service. Is there a glitch in your system?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I don't have the items listed (ie. "sold stocks, bonds...; sold home" etc.) but insists I need to upgrade to Premier service. Is there a glitch in your system?

Please be aware that removing the check mark will also mean that you are not going to be asked about your sales of stocks , bonds, etc, and will also not allow you to enter in capital gains from those sales.

If you truly did sell stocks and bonds, and they are not reported on a T-Slip, you will need to check the box you had, and upgrade to the Premier version.

Post back if you need further assistance.

- Clint

View solution in original post

26 Replies
LK74

I tried to reset but it didn't help. Can someone at TurboTax reset for me..? This is annoying.
zerkeed

I tried resetting the underlying questions per the second answer and this did not work either.  If this can't be fixed, I will have to take my business to another tax software vendor.

I am having the same issue - changing the answer is not working.  Turbotax, what's the deal?

Did you sell any stocks or bonds that are on a T-Slip? If you have checked the box for "sold stocks, bonds...; sold home" etc." and then unchecked it, please check to see if you have checked any boxes underneath that Sold stocks checkbox. If you have Rental Income, you would need to upgrade.

No, the answer to the question is no and also no to all the more specific questions listed below; I also have no rental income.  It still says I need to upgrade.

Do you have Self Employment Income or expenses?

If the check boxes are truly all blank, and none of the upgrade reasons are a part of your return, please contact our Customer Care team to get a discount code to pay for the upgrade amount. I don't want you to spend too much time trying to discover what is causing the upgrade. Call our team at 1-888-829-8608 (Choose option#2 or 4 on the phone menu).

Post back if you still need assistance after getting the upgrade code.

Thanks.

- Clint

I have the exact same problem. I have checked that all the boxes are unchecked. I even went back and set everything to no - as in no employment income, nothing of anything and it still says I need to upgrade. In the summary that precedes the upgrade screen it even shows that I have nothing, right before telling me small kittens will be hurt if I do not upgrade! Can I email to get codes? Are you going to fix this? I am sure lots of people are simply giving up and going with UFile.

Hi Chris - I cannot replicate the issue you are describing, unless I accept the upgrade, then try to go back. If that is the case, and it shows you are in the Premier/Home&Business version, click the Tools menu and select Return Manager, then create a new return. If it still requires you to upgrade, then by all means email me to get a code to cover the upgrade costs. tax_support@intuit.com

I just went in again and I still have the same problem. The only way to fix it was delete the return and start over. When I do that, answer the questions the same way. I am allowed to continue. Question: I exercised stock options in 2014, which is what triggered me to answer a question and get into the upgrade issue. Just to clarify, you surely do not have to upgrade just to file a return that includes the exercising of a stock option?