Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I sold a rental and have a loss but it is not terminal as I have another rental in the same class, where is that loss captured in TurboTax? Can it be carried forward?

I cannot offset the loss with the gain from the other rental as the loss is way bigger than the gain
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I sold a rental and have a loss but it is not terminal as I have another rental in the same class, where is that loss captured in TurboTax? Can it be carried forward?

When you take CCA on an asset and then sell/dispose of it, the amount is taken out of the UCC for the class. That's how it's recorded and carried forward.

It's not like capital gains/losses where your loss or gain is based off of the original value of the asset. Instead it's based on the remaining value of all the assets in the class after however many years you have been taking CCA on it. For example, if you have a UCC of $50,000, and you sell a property for $1000, if you have no other additions or dispositions, and you don't take CCA for the year, your end UCC will be $49,000. You don't get a terminal loss, but you have already claimed depreciation for property before you sold it. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

When you take CCA on an asset and then sell/dispose of it, the amount is taken out of the UCC for the class. That's how it's recorded and carried forward.

It's not like capital gains/losses where your loss or gain is based off of the original value of the asset. Instead it's based on the remaining value of all the assets in the class after however many years you have been taking CCA on it. For example, if you have a UCC of $50,000, and you sell a property for $1000, if you have no other additions or dispositions, and you don't take CCA for the year, your end UCC will be $49,000. You don't get a terminal loss, but you have already claimed depreciation for property before you sold it.