Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kqx
Returning Member

Living in the States Temporary. Declared Non-Resident, Can I still file Non-Resident Taxes Through Turbotax?

Hi, I'm so new to this. I moved to the states a year ago. I am declared as non-resident from Canada. I have taxes that I need to file from my investment. I'm wondering if Turbo has the option to file under non-resident. I briefly read somewhere that I need to file by paper? Not sure if that's accurate. Thanks! 

2 Replies

Living in the States Temporary. Declared Non-Resident, Can I still file Non-Resident Taxes Through Turbotax?

Yes, you can use TurboTax software to prepare a non-resident return. However, TurboTax Live services like Assist & Review and Full Service are not-recommended for non-residents.

And, yes, normally non-residents would have to print and mail their returns. However, due to the delays that the Covid-19 situation has caused the postal system, the CRA has decided to allow non-residents to fax in their returns. You can find the correct mailing address and fax number that you will need on their website: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/where-mail-your-paper-t1-retur...

kqx
Returning Member

Thank you so much for replying, Susan. 

I'm wondering why is it that it's not recommened to use live. There are investment sold (capital gain) I have no idea how to calculate. Could I still use the live assist or it has to be done by myself?

Thanks for informing about faxing would be an option. I tried to click on the link, but it looks like it doesn't work. Where could I look up for their fax info? Thanks!