Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My foreign rental income from the USA is showing on my 2020 tax return under line 12100 "interest and other investment income". Is this the correct line item for it?

3 Replies

My foreign rental income from the USA is showing on my 2020 tax return under line 12100 "interest and other investment income". Is this the correct line item for it?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

It would be more appropriate to report foreign rental income on T776.  To do please follow below steps:

1. In the upper-right corner of your screen, select Find.
  2. In the Find window, type Rental Properties.
  3. Select Rental Properties from the list, and select Go.

For Foreign Rental Property enter your Canadian home postal code for the property and your home province for the Province. In the Address, enter the foreign country address, including the equivalent of the postal code (such as a ZIP code for US addresses).

Note that the CRA's NETILFE/EFILE servers will accept only the first 30 characters of the address.

already posted

Thanks for your reply. 

For many years I  filed  using T776 for my foreign rental property. However, after contacting the CRA they advised it was more appropriate to designate it as foreign income because if I use T776 I accrue RRSP credits which I should not get for foreign income.

I am now of the thought that perhaps  it does not matter which way I report it. Foreign income or under rental property. Both ways seems to be acceptable to the CRA  and it seems the resulting tax is the same.

Do you agree that either way is correct for CRA purposes or am I missing something here that may come back to bite me in the future?

Thanks Again