Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My spouse is canada pr holder and he is working in USA since 2020. what will be his residency status and what should i fill in net income federal tax return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My spouse is canada pr holder and he is working in USA since 2020. what will be his residency status and what should i fill in net income federal tax return?

Residency status is determined by CRA on a case-by-case basis. There are primary and secondary residential ties. Primary ties include the ownership of a home in Canada or the residence of a spouse or dependants. Secondary ties might include personal property in Canada, social ties such as memberships, economic ties such as bank accounts, a Canadian driver’s licence, a Canadian passport, as well as possible health insurance coverage within a Canadian province or territory. If you have established similar residential ties to another country, these could be considered relevant to the CRA’s consideration of your status too.

For additional information, please refer to this link:

How Does Residency Status Impact Your Tax Return? 

If you have more questions specific to your spouse's situation, you can contact our team by following this link.

TurboTax Social Media 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you are unsure of your spouse's residency status, you will need to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and confirm it with them. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/telephone-numbers.html

If you have TurboTax Live Assist & Review, here is how to talk to a Tax Expert: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/navigating-turbotax/help/i-m-using-turbotax-live-assi...

Residency status is determined by CRA on a case-by-case basis. There are primary and secondary residential ties. Primary ties include the ownership of a home in Canada or the residence of a spouse or dependants. Secondary ties might include personal property in Canada, social ties such as memberships, economic ties such as bank accounts, a Canadian driver’s licence, a Canadian passport, as well as possible health insurance coverage within a Canadian province or territory. If you have established similar residential ties to another country, these could be considered relevant to the CRA’s consideration of your status too.

For additional information, please refer to this link:

How Does Residency Status Impact Your Tax Return? 

If you have more questions specific to your spouse's situation, you can contact our team by following this link.

TurboTax Social Media