Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper version for investments

I have investments (stocks and funds and ETFs) and thus dividend income and capital gains and losses.

Can this truly only be reported using the Premier online version ($35 per return) and not with the Deluxe version ($21 per return)?

Similarly, if I get the downloadable version (TurboTax desktop), do I need the Premier version ($83) because the Standard version ($38) cannot process investment related items?

I'm not sure if they have drastically changed the pricing and product offering, but in the past I have used the CD version that was about $45, and it was able to handle investments.

Finally, if I am able to report investment income/losses with any of these versions, then what do the more costly versions have that the more economical versions do not?  

1 Reply

Proper version for investments

If you are using TurboTax Online, you will need Premier or Self-Employed to claim investment income.

If you are using TurboTax CD/Download, we recommend Premier as it has more guidance relating to investment income, but you can use any version as they all include the same tax forms.