Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flgiglio

Question regarding filling taxes when spouses lived in two separate addresses (rental) during the same period of time.

Hi, I have a question:

My husband and I have rented two apartments in 2018 - he worked in Gatineau and I worked in Montreal. During the weekdays he would stay in Gatineau, and drive to Montreal on weekends so we would stay together.

We are concerned we spent double in rent and gas, and were wondering if there is any way these extra expenses could be taken in consideration.

Our taxes are personal (we don't own a business), we have no children, and other than education credits, which my husband has quite a bit from previous years, we have no other significant deductions.

Should we file our taxes jointly or separately? Would you have any recommendation for us?

Thanks in advance!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Question regarding filling taxes when spouses lived in two separate addresses (rental) during the same period of time.

Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do in this situation. You can’t claim travel to & from work, and you can’t claim personal rent expenses. The only rent related credit is the Housing Component of the Solidarity Tax Credit, if you are eligible for it.

We recommend that you prepare your returns together, if you don’t have a reason not too. https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648033

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do in this situation. You can’t claim travel to & from work, and you can’t claim personal rent expenses. The only rent related credit is the Housing Component of the Solidarity Tax Credit, if you are eligible for it.

We recommend that you prepare your returns together, if you don’t have a reason not too. https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648033