Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am just a regular Canadian homeowner, I live in my house, do I need to fill out the underused housing tax form?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am just a regular Canadian homeowner, I live in my house, do I need to fill out the underused housing tax form?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency(CRA), you don't have to fill out the underused housing tax. The Underused Housing Tax is an annual 1% tax on the ownership of vacant or underused housing in Canada that took effect on January 1, 2022. The tax usually applies to non-resident, non-Canadian owners. In some situations, however, it also applies to Canadian owners. Please find below the complete info on who has to file a return for the underused housing tax.

Who must file a return and pay the tax

If you are an excluded owner of a residential property in Canada, you have no obligations or liabilities under the Underused Housing Tax Act.

An excluded owner includes, but is not limited to:

• an individual who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident - unless included in the list of affected owners below
  • any person - including an individual who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident - that owns a residential property as a trustee of a mutual fund trust, real estate investment trust, or specified investment flow-through trust (SIFT) for Canadian income tax purposes
  • a Canadian corporation whose shares are listed on a Canadian stock exchange designated for Canadian income tax purposes
  • a registered charity for Canadian income tax purposes
  • a cooperative housing corporation for Canadian GST/HST purposes
  • an Indigenous governing body or a corporation wholly owned by an Indigenous governing body

If you are not an excluded owner we refer to you as an affected owner and you have obligations under the Underused Housing Tax Act for your residential property in Canada. An affected owner includes, but is not limited to:

• an individual who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • an individual who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and who owns a residential property as a trustee of a trust (other than as a personal representative of a deceased individual)
  • any person - including an individual who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident - that owns a residential property as a partner of a partnership
  • a corporation that is incorporated outside Canada
  • a Canadian corporation whose shares are not listed on a Canadian stock exchange designated for Canadian income tax purposes
  • a Canadian corporation without share capital

If you are an affected owner, you must file an Underused Housing Tax return for each residential property that you own in Canada on December 31. You must also pay the Underused Housing Tax, unless your ownership qualifies for an exemption for the calendar year. Even if your ownership qualifies for an exemption, you must still file an Underused Housing Tax return for the calendar year.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

As per the Canada Revenue Agency(CRA), you don't have to fill out the underused housing tax. The Underused Housing Tax is an annual 1% tax on the ownership of vacant or underused housing in Canada that took effect on January 1, 2022. The tax usually applies to non-resident, non-Canadian owners. In some situations, however, it also applies to Canadian owners. Please find below the complete info on who has to file a return for the underused housing tax.

Who must file a return and pay the tax

If you are an excluded owner of a residential property in Canada, you have no obligations or liabilities under the Underused Housing Tax Act.

An excluded owner includes, but is not limited to:

• an individual who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident - unless included in the list of affected owners below
  • any person - including an individual who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident - that owns a residential property as a trustee of a mutual fund trust, real estate investment trust, or specified investment flow-through trust (SIFT) for Canadian income tax purposes
  • a Canadian corporation whose shares are listed on a Canadian stock exchange designated for Canadian income tax purposes
  • a registered charity for Canadian income tax purposes
  • a cooperative housing corporation for Canadian GST/HST purposes
  • an Indigenous governing body or a corporation wholly owned by an Indigenous governing body

If you are not an excluded owner we refer to you as an affected owner and you have obligations under the Underused Housing Tax Act for your residential property in Canada. An affected owner includes, but is not limited to:

• an individual who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • an individual who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and who owns a residential property as a trustee of a trust (other than as a personal representative of a deceased individual)
  • any person - including an individual who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident - that owns a residential property as a partner of a partnership
  • a corporation that is incorporated outside Canada
  • a Canadian corporation whose shares are not listed on a Canadian stock exchange designated for Canadian income tax purposes
  • a Canadian corporation without share capital

If you are an affected owner, you must file an Underused Housing Tax return for each residential property that you own in Canada on December 31. You must also pay the Underused Housing Tax, unless your ownership qualifies for an exemption for the calendar year. Even if your ownership qualifies for an exemption, you must still file an Underused Housing Tax return for the calendar year.

Does turboTax process complete this form for us or we must complete and submit it separately 

@Cellharrry7 The Underused Housing Tax form (UHT-2900) is not part of the income tax return, so it is not available in TurboTax.

kmrcga

I have read on a few landlord tenant sites that if you and a spouse own a rental property than this is a grey area where you could be considered to not be exempt as you are a partnership and are required to fill out the form even though no tax is due. 

I would suggest that you contact the CRA for clarification in your matter to be sure. You can contact them at 1-800-959-8281 to get tax information.