Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I use part of my home to run my self employment business. Turbotax gave me the option to enter the sq footage but not the cost of rent. How do I add rent cost?

2 Replies

I use part of my home to run my self employment business. Turbotax gave me the option to enter the sq footage but not the cost of rent. How do I add rent cost?

If you are a self-employed and want to claim your rent paid as a home office expense, refer to the following steps: 

Log in to your account and edit your current return --> Income --> Self-Employment --> create your profile --> you can enter your expenses under rent while filling in the form T2125. 

For further clarification please check out these two links:

Claiming Home Office Expenses for Your Small Business

T2125 Tax Form: Declare income and expenses from a business or profession

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter

In this case, you can follow this video about the Home Office Expenses for self-employment.  Firstly, you should be enter how many room in your home did you use for work?. Then in the next page, they have a table about the expenses for this room. Enter the cost for that one here as the video guide. 
For further information, please see our TurboTax article: How do I claim home office expenses?

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for using a TurboTax.