Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkmk4

How do I split T5 income? The other person is my parent, not a spouse. The only option available is to enter percentage of slip to claim on your spouse's tax return.

5 Replies

How do I split T5 income? The other person is my parent, not a spouse. The only option available is to enter percentage of slip to claim on your spouse's tax return.

To split your T5 with someone other than your spouse, simply report the portion that applies to you on your own tax return and provide the other joint account holder(s) with a copy of the T5 slip in order for them to report the proportionate income on their tax return.

Retain your copy of the tax slip and your explanation as to why you have not reported the full amount in your own file in case you are asked for it by CRA.

So under percentage, I should input 100% and then for box 26 (that's the only box that has an entry on my slip), I enter in half the amount on my tax return and the other half is to be reported on the other joint account holder's tax return?

This has long been a serious flaw with Turbo Tax. It is so painful to go through the CRA's stupidity every year where they first assign the full amount to me then it's a protracted fight, every year, to get them to acknowledge another tax payer, not my spouse, has declared the income.

Why won't Intuit fix this so we can show the percentage and who the other taxpayer and their SIN is so the CRA knows up front it's not a mistake instead of making this so painful for your users every year?

@DougFromCalgary The CRA would have to provide a form or alter an existing one to have this information, as right now there isn't. NETFILE only accepts CRA forms, so even if TurboTax were to make it's own worksheet, it would not be transmitted.

That's frustrating but thanks for letting me know Susan.  What we've been doing instead is sending letters from both the issuer and the co-recipient to the CRA but even then they still screw it up, they are so grossly incompetent. It's just happened again on Friday, where despite having that correspondence on file they say we only claimed half the T5 last April for 2021's return and we owe more tax. Unbelievable.