Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold our house - the box that asks for our adjusted cost base, do I split the total cost of the home between my husband and I? or put the full cost in each box?

House cost $218,000 - would 50% go under my name and %50 under his or the total cost of $218K in each box?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sold our house - the box that asks for our adjusted cost base, do I split the total cost of the home between my husband and I? or put the full cost in each box?

You would enter the full amount under both of you and make sure that you had answered that you both owned it at 50%

It will then automatically split the amount that the property was sold for, as seen above.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

To help you further could you let us know if you are using TurboTax Online or Desktop/Download and which version you are using? Are you doing a spousal return where you are doing the two returns together at the same time?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Turbo tax online - and doing the returns together yes.

I am also lost on the total proceeds of distribution box. When I put the sold price of $211K in there the next page says total proceeds were $105,500K. Does this mean it thinks we made $105,500K on the sale? we def did not

Breakdown
Bought house in 2022 for $218K
Sold house in 2023 for $211K (still owed $210,xxx on the house)

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

You would enter the full amount under both of you and make sure that you had answered that you both owned it at 50%

It will then automatically split the amount that the property was sold for, as seen above.

Hello, I don't see any options to split the % on desktop 2023 version.

My case:

Bought $230K, so I split that between us for cost

Sold $310K, should I split that evenly since there is not option for %?

@beecue Is this a principal residence, or an capital gains/loss property?

Principal residence that I bought in 2016. Married and wife moved in 2020.

@beecue The fastest way to do it in TurboTax CD/Download is to go into Forms mode and fill out the T2091 form form one spouse with everything divided in half. Then select Edit > Forms > Copy/Transfer Form. Click the Copy button, and the form will be duplicated on the other spouse's return.