Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vitlen

Split rental income

Filling T776.
I and my spouse are co-owners of a rental property (50%/50%).
We have a Gross rents X$, I enter it on each of our forms.
We have Y$ interest, which is also 50% split.
I thought that each of us should report income equal to: (X-Y)/2.
But I see that each of us is calculated an income (X - Y/2) / 2.
Why?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Split rental income

Thank you for your question.

When completing your T776, you will enter gross rent(line 8299) and gross expenses, which will give you net rental income(line 9369). This net rental income is then divided based on % of ownership. When entering expenses it is important to note that the personal portion option is only to be used when you have a rental that is partially used for personal reasons, such as renting out a suite in your own home. The personal portion would be the portion of the home you live in and use for personal reasons.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Split rental income

Thank you for your question.

When completing your T776, you will enter gross rent(line 8299) and gross expenses, which will give you net rental income(line 9369). This net rental income is then divided based on % of ownership. When entering expenses it is important to note that the personal portion option is only to be used when you have a rental that is partially used for personal reasons, such as renting out a suite in your own home. The personal portion would be the portion of the home you live in and use for personal reasons.

Split rental income

So are expenses inputted at 100%? and personal portion at 0% if we don't use any portion of the home for personal reasons? And thus, the net is now multiplied by 50% splitting the income/loss?