Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Diana2

For column 3 of Princ Res Worksheet, a moderator in this forum said the questions should be answered yes, no, no, and blank if the property is sold to a third party.

Why is it necessary to answer the questions in column 3 if the sale is by a husband and wife to a third party, since the questions (per the heading) are supposed to be related to a disposition "to your spouse/partner"?  If the property was sold to a third party (and there is no disposition to your spouse/partner), shouldn't all the questions in column 3 be left blank?  If left blank, will this affect NetFile?

2 Replies

For column 3 of Princ Res Worksheet, a moderator in this forum said the questions should be answered yes, no, no, and blank if the property is sold to a third party.

The top two questions on the third column of the worksheet are "Did your spouse/partner also dispose of this property" and "is all or part of the disposition going to your spouse" So if you and your spouse are both selling the property to another person, you would answer YES to both of these questions, and then ignore the last two questions.

The title is just a bit miss-worded.

My daughter and her common law husband sold their jointly owned principal residence in 2021.  The Proceeds of Disposition was $540,000.00 and their Adjusted Cost Base was $298,828.56.  They both need to report this on their tax returns.  As they jointly owned the property the capital gain is split 50/50. 

Do they each put the total amounts of $540,000.00 and $298,828.56 into their individual Principal Residence Designation Worksheet or do they split those amounts in half and enter those amounts in column 2?

In addition do they still answer YES to the first two questions in column 3 and ignore the last two questions.  

My daughter's husband's tax return is being done by his father using another tax software package so this may be causing an issue for me.   I answer YES to the first two questions and ignore the last two but can only do that if I change to the forms method.  When I return to the Easystep method Turbotax changes the first question in column 3 to NO and the percentage in question 4 becomes 100%.  When I hit the continue button I get the Disposition To A Spouse Or Partner Page with the Spouse/Partner option already selected.  

So how am I to fill this in under these circumstances?   Is this a bug in the software. I have been using Turbotax and it's predecessor for many years and never run into a problem before.