Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jecanada

We moved to our rental property after the sale of our home. After 2 years we sold the rental and moved to a rental house/ How to repot this in my tax refund this year?

Hello, I had a rental property that used to be our principal home, we moved out from it in 2015 and moved back in  2021. We depreciated the property in 2016 and 2017. In 2023 we sold it and moved out and started to live in a rental house. How should I declare the sale to the government?
4 Replies

We moved to our rental property after the sale of our home. After 2 years we sold the rental and moved to a rental house/ How to repot this in my tax refund this year?

It would be a good idea to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and see how they want you to report this sale.

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere, you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: Contact the Canada Revenue Agency

jecanada

Thank you. 

I called CRA they told me I missed reporting the change of property from rental to principal but I wonder why. I followed Turbo Tax steps, how could Turbo Tax of missed that?  What is the option to report the change in Turbo Tax?  How can I speak to Turbo Tax about this? 

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to see what was missed. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

The final year that you had a rental unit you would have had to enter it as shown below, on your income tax return: 

End of Rental.png