Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does it ask where in Canada I live on the TurboTax form if I am a non-resident with only a Canadian mailing address?

7 Replies

Why does it ask where in Canada I live on the TurboTax form if I am a non-resident with only a Canadian mailing address?

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to describe, so if what follows doesn't help, please reply with some clarifying info...

The address you enter in your return is your mailing address, i.e where you'd want any correspondence from the CRA to be mailed. Your mailing address has no impact on the calculation of your return, but we do currently have a limitation where we don't permit the entry of an address outside Canada.

Most non-residents don't have a Canadian mailing address. Since non-residents are required to print and mail their tax returns, we advise users in that situation to enter any valid Canadian address in TurboTax just to get past that step, and then when they print their return, cross out and write in your actual mailing address.

If you have a Canadian mailing address, great! Just enter it in; you won't need to make any corrections when you print your return.

It's the province you enter (where TurboTax askes what province you lived in on Dec 31) that has an impact on how your taxes are calculated. If you're a non-resident, enter non-resident.

A word of caution though: some people who emigrated from Canada during the tax year incorrectly enter their status as non-resident. Technically, if you left Canada during the tax year, you were actually considered a part-year resident and should enter the Canadian province you lived in on your last day in Canada. When you do this, TurboTax will then prompt you for the date of departure, so it can properly calculate your taxes for the part of the year you were a resident.

Hi,

Regarding the "word of caution" section...I emigrated in 2022. I will enter "Ontario" as my province of residence as of December 31st, 2022 so that the date field for emigration (March 29th) appears. Thank you for answering that question because it's been asked but not answered properly on here many times! I know I have to print out the return and send it to CRA. Would you suggest that I cross off "Ontario" (since I did not actually reside in Ontario on Dec 31st)? Or is CRA used to seeing the contradictory information and I should leave everything as is?

Thanks so much!

Can you please confirm with me if you are using TurboTax Online or Download and which version so that we can replicate it for you and give you the steps. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Download 2022 but I don't need any steps. I understand how to enter the residency information now. My question was about the printed out copy that I'll need to send to CRA. It will list my province of residency as "Ontario" as of Dec 31st, 2022 but in the other section it will say I left Canada on Mar 29th 2022. Would you suggest that after I print off the copy, I manually cross out "Ontario"? Or just leave it as is?

Thanks!

So long as you entered that you were non-resident as of December 31, 2022. Then on the address line yes, you can scratch off Ontario and put which ever mailing address you have.

As per CRA- Due to international mail delays, the CRA is temporarily accepting non-resident income tax returns through Fax: 204-984-5164.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hi,

I'm not sure why you're mentioning the mailing address. Your suggestion contradicts the previous advice by TurboTaxTara, which I believe is correct. I've decided to leave "Ontario" as the province of residence as of Dec 31st on the printed out copy since I'm assuming CRA sees this information from Turbotax quite a bit and won't be confused by it.

Thanks.

Hi,

I just realized why you mentioned the mailing address. You were looking at the original question but didn't read my question. Anyway, I've made a decision now.

Thanks.