Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmtaxme
Returning Member

Your business or rental address is missing information (i.e. number and street) or it has a character that can't be used. - I don't even have a rental. Why do I have ths?

13 Replies

Your business or rental address is missing information (i.e. number and street) or it has a character that can't be used. - I don't even have a rental. Why do I have ths?

You must have entered a business address which you forgot to add the street number as part of the address or added a character such as a hyphen which isn't being accepted. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

kmtaxme
Returning Member

The software does not list a hyphen as an invalid character and is needed for some addresses (unit-building).  I retyped the "stated" missing information and even copied it from a NOA but did not make a difference.  The software failed to truly indicate what the error was or the error was in the software.  The business address was correct and already entered on the "business" forms.  The software reported the problem for a "rental".  But even when I entered that address, it still said that there was an error.  Epic fail for the software.

Was this an error that needed to be fixed or a warning? If it was a warning you can just skip it and continue and file your return.

If the issue is an actual error- please contact our phone support team for assistance.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

kmtaxme
Returning Member

The message was  an error.  I could not Netfile due to the error without fixing it and I could not find anything to fix, not for lack of trying.  At the time, I also could not find any means of contacting turbotax, it was the best kept secret!  

I had to mail my return since the software would not allow me to Netfile my return.

Above I had sent to you the link to the phone number for TurboTax phone support team. 

dgallou37

It doesn't matter how I fill in the address, I keep getting the same error, and if I skip it, I can't Netfile.

I am aware about the various forbidden characters and the period at the end of any word.

VERY frustrating; please help.

@dgallou37

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

rekabis

Support: And what’s wrong with posting the information into this forum, such that it can directly help others? Why must we phone in for a workaround to what is clearly a software bug? My own father is suffering this exact same problem with the 2022 software, and *any* legitimate, address - confirmed using the Canada Post address finder - that we plug in is throwing this error. It’s a product flaw that made it past QA. Either state the known workaround or admit that there isn’t one and anyone with a rental cannot netfile.

kmtaxme
Returning Member

Right?  Why is this even a thing?

I had a rental unit in the past but haven't used it in many years so that shouldn't have even come up when I did my 2021 taxes.  A tax form that I received regarding income had a very long address but no weird characters in the address.  I assumed that this is what triggered the message but after rewriting the address, entering my rental address and any other combinations that I could come up with, I could not get it to work and therefore could not netfile.  I couldn't even find a turbotax support phone number to call.  But the fact that this is still a problem is ridiculous!   That tax form was imported from the government site so there should never have been an error message!  Not going to be happy if this comes up again when I do my 2022 taxes soon.