Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter T4 without RL1 - Skipping the RL1 still inputs data

I live in Quebec but worked remotely for an Ontario-based company. I received a T4 but no RL1. When I enter the T4 and choose to skip the RL1 (as per instructions I've seen in this Community), TurboTax still automatically puts an amount in box A in the RL1 column and form/screen for my total employment income. So it doesn't look or feel like TurboTax has actually "skipped" my RL1 since there is still data for a RL1 there.

Should I keep that amount in the RL1 column or should I be putting the amount to 0 since I have no RL1?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes you leave the information and do not delete it. Click on skip and Continue.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

I am in the same situation. I manually deleted the information in Releve 1 for the income earned from an Ontario employer, but the software flags it as an error and my refund seems way too big.

@challmich 1  In the Provincial section of your return- Your Other Québec Credits Profile - you will check off the box "Tax transfer for residents of Québec who earned income in another province and from which federal tax was deducted" Continue- Tax Transfer for Residents of Québec- on this page you will enter Income tax deducted by employers outside Québec. This step is crucial so that you don't get a big refund on the federal side and owe a lot on the Provincial side.

Thank you for the information on what to do in the Provincial section of the return to ensure the tax transfer.

Returning to my question about the T4/RL1 section in particular, to confirm: do I maintain the amounts that TurboTax automatically transfers into the RL1 column and form, or do I manually delete those?

Yes you leave the information and do not delete it. Click on skip and Continue.

OK, great! Merci. I appreciate your prompt and helpful responses.

You are very welcome. It's a team effort here in the community.

So if my R1 has the same amount listed in Box A & J, I should just ignore the amount in Box A, since the income from my T4 has already populated the field and I should just enter in the information from the other boxes in their respective locations and should be fine?  Or am I to add the amount in Box A to my Income from my T4 for the R1? I think I should just ignore, but want to be sure.

First time doing taxes ourselves this year in over 30 years...While I am tech savvy, instructions are not exactly straight forward and a little confusing really. Hate to get it wrong, even though the software says I have no errors...

Please follow the steps in the images below to add your information.
Sign in to your account and enter your return.

Click on Continue to save your change.

When entering your T4 information, scroll to the bottom of the page to reach Box E.
Enter the amount from Box E of your RL-1 in the field marked Québec tax deducted from your Relevé 1 slip (Non-resident of Québec).

Click on Save and Continue.
On the next screen, click on Done with T4.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

OK. I didn't see that, but I'm a Quebec resident. While income info from T4 imports to the RL-1 section...my RL-1 Box A & J are the same amounts. Do I add the additional amount from my RL-1 to my income imported from my T4 or leave alone, ignore it and only address the other relevant information from my RL-1 in the appropriate boxes? Just want to be sure as I keep getting a warning about amounts submitted in the Federal and Provincial forms. Thanks.