Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inter province moving

I moved from ON to QC on July 15: 1) Will I pay the QC Tax rate on the income I earned from January to June in ON? 2) Can I use my ON Tuition credit for my ON revenue?

Thank you!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Inter province moving

Regarding tuition, if it was “new” tuition (i.e. you went to school in 2019), then you could claim it in Quebec. But for tuition that has been carried forward, I have found conflicting information regarding moving to Quebec. In this case it would be a good idea if you contacted Revenu Quebec and checked with them.  This is their Contact Us page: https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/contact-us/general-information-individuals/

For your second question, if you had Employment Income (T4) in Ontario, you likely paid tax on it already, and will not be double taxed. Also, while Quebec does have higher tax rates, they also have a lot of credits not available in other provinces.

To enter your capital losses in TurboTax Online Premier, click on the “Find” icon in the top right and search for “Loss”. Select “Losses” from the list and then click the “Go” button. You’ll be taken to “Your Losses Profile for 2019” where you can check off what kind of losses you have, and Continue from there.

FYI: Auto-fill will be available on Monday, February 10, 2020 at 6:00 a.m. EST.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Inter province moving

You’ll be doing a provincial tax return for whichever province you lived on December 31st 2019. You might not get the full amounts of some Quebec credits because you weren’t there for the whole year.

Regarding your tuition credit, is this new tuition or a carried forward amount, or both?

Inter province moving

Hey,

Thank you for the quick reply @TurboTaxSusan.

The tuition tax credit were accumulated in 2018, when I was still living in Ontario.

Regarding the first part, does it mean I will have to pay the Quebec tax rate on the income I earned during my time in Ontario? (since Quebec tax rate is higher).

Unrelated topic: I have some capital losses that I'd like to carry forward, do you know where I can enter that amount or should I wait until the Auto-fill is available on Feb 18th?

Thanks a ton 🙂

Inter province moving

Regarding tuition, if it was “new” tuition (i.e. you went to school in 2019), then you could claim it in Quebec. But for tuition that has been carried forward, I have found conflicting information regarding moving to Quebec. In this case it would be a good idea if you contacted Revenu Quebec and checked with them.  This is their Contact Us page: https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/contact-us/general-information-individuals/

For your second question, if you had Employment Income (T4) in Ontario, you likely paid tax on it already, and will not be double taxed. Also, while Quebec does have higher tax rates, they also have a lot of credits not available in other provinces.

To enter your capital losses in TurboTax Online Premier, click on the “Find” icon in the top right and search for “Loss”. Select “Losses” from the list and then click the “Go” button. You’ll be taken to “Your Losses Profile for 2019” where you can check off what kind of losses you have, and Continue from there.

FYI: Auto-fill will be available on Monday, February 10, 2020 at 6:00 a.m. EST.

Inter province moving

Thanks a lot @TurboTaxSusan  for the detailed explanations. I have just subscribed to Live Assist for more detailed walkthrough.

Cheers