Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Worksheet and Receipts Need Added Functionality

I've been using desktop Turbo for a long time, but this year decided to enter my medical receipts individually rather than grouping them beforehand in a spreadsheet.

After a day of frustration, I now realize the following shortcomings of the program:

1. The worksheet is a fixed size (51 lines) and does not "grow" to accommodate more receipts

2. The worksheet is read-only and cannot be modified directly; further the column sizes are fixed, meaning that one must scroll back and forth to read (say) dates and amounts

3. The worksheet combines the receipts of both spouses... it is not possible to obtain the total medical expenses for only one or the other spouse; the only way to do this is by reading the total from the receipts entry page

4. Receipts beyond 50 are grouped in one line "from other receipts"

5. The worksheet rows seem to be in the order that the receipts have been entered but the receipt number is not listed and there is therefore no way to change the sort order

6. It appears impossible to delete receipts; all that can be done is to make the fields blanks

7. There is no easy way to 'fast forward' to the beginning or end of the list of receipts; navigation is via single button clicks

8. There is no way to import a list of receipts.

I've come to the belated conclusion that it is better to use a traditional spreadsheet program to code and sort medical expenses rather relying on Turbo Tax's limited functionality.

BTW I use Turbo Tax standard for Windows 7... the 'edition' selector below does not allow for that choice.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for your feedback about medical expenses, we appreciate it.

You can enter your medical receipts in groups such as entering all your prescriptions together, all of your dental, and so on. 

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-credits-expenses/help/how-do-i-enter-my-medical-e...

Have you checked out our great FAQ on Windows 7?

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Thank you for your feedback about medical expenses, we appreciate it.

You can enter your medical receipts in groups such as entering all your prescriptions together, all of your dental, and so on. 

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-credits-expenses/help/how-do-i-enter-my-medical-e...

Have you checked out our great FAQ on Windows 7?

Thanks for the response. That is what I had concluded. I will check out the Win7 FAQ.