Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Quebec pensioner, suddenly owe a fortune

I retired at the end of 2021 but continued to work part-time since, pulling in about 50% of my past salary and supplementing it with pension -- total combined income is about the same as prior years. When I enter my employment data I get a refund (consistent with past years), but the moment I enter my pension I suddenly owe over 10k, despite my pension being taxed at source at 24%. I paid about 15k taxes on a pension of 61k, am trying to understand why TurboTax now says I owe another 10k on top of that. I've gone over the slips and have entered all the applicable taxes/deductions.

Could it be the forms might still be in flux? It seems to work normally when I enter non-pension data.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, it is possible that a specific one is still locked by the CRA. You can't file or print your return until February 21st, 2023 by then we are hoping that the majority will all be available.  When you go back to your return next year you may see a difference and if there is an issue we can at that time try to duplicate your issue. 

Thank you for your patience and for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Yes, it is possible that a specific one is still locked by the CRA. You can't file or print your return until February 21st, 2023 by then we are hoping that the majority will all be available.  When you go back to your return next year you may see a difference and if there is an issue we can at that time try to duplicate your issue. 

Thank you for your patience and for choosing TurboTax.

Thanks. I've noticed that when I enter the same pension amount as employment income instead, I get a 2k refund (in line with expectations) -- but when I enter it as pension on a T4A slip, it turns into a 10k amount owing. This despite the same amount of taxes deducted for both. 

I get a feeling I'm missing something but can't put my finger on it. I've tried Easy Step but it hasn't flagged anything.

Can you please clarify if you have a T4A and a T4 or is there any other T-slips? I will try to duplicate it.

I haven't received my slips yet, but I know what the relevant amounts will be, if that helps.

Should I post them here?

No, this is a public forum, no personal information will be shared on here. 🙂 

I will contact you by email. 

Thanks!