Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the t5 interest (bx13) earned from cancelling a funeral pre-arrangement taxable and is the tps and tvq paid previously claimable.(Quebec)?

In July, I cancelled my 30,000 pre arrangements that I made in November 2008 and finished paying in November 2013. At the time, I paid TPS: 1,44.30 at 5% and TVQ: 2,117.28 at 7.5%. When I cancelled it, I was paid back only 28,558.42 which included the interest from the Trust Fund.( 1,883.83)

I was charged 10% penalty for cancelling it, which is ok by me (900.00)

Can I claim the shortfall on my income tax? if so, at what line?

Also, is the T5 represented correctly in box 13?

It feel cheated by not getting back the 30,000 and then to maybe have to pay more money to the government for canceling a service that I never received.

Can you help me?

Thanks.

1 Reply

Are the t5 interest (bx13) earned from cancelling a funeral pre-arrangement taxable and is the tps and tvq paid previously claimable.(Quebec)?

If you have a T5, an amount in Box 13 would be taxable. Interest that is refunded and not used toward a non-prepaid funeral expense (flowers, reception, etc…) is subject to taxation.

The sales tax should have been refunded to you when you got your money back. However, since they charged a fee (penalty) for cancelling the contract, they likely charged sales tax on that fee, which is why you didn’t get the full sales tax back from your original purchase. If that is the case, there is no way to recover the sales tax amount.