Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MC9

As a contractor working out of town should I claim the $51 per diem meal allowance or is there a different amount for buying groceries and are the both oly 50% claimable

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

As a contractor working out of town should I claim the $51 per diem meal allowance or is there a different amount for buying groceries and are the both oly 50% claimable

The $51.00 per day is for medical travel and does not apply.  If you are a sole proprietor, you are best to save all receipts, claim the meals at 50%, and claim the lodging.

If you are able to bill your clients for living out expenses, and specifically bill them for your meals, it is claimable at 100%

There may be different options available if your business is incorporated.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The $51.00 per day is for medical travel and does not apply.  If you are a sole proprietor, you are best to save all receipts, claim the meals at 50%, and claim the lodging.

If you are able to bill your clients for living out expenses, and specifically bill them for your meals, it is claimable at 100%

There may be different options available if your business is incorporated.

taxnano

You are better of claiming the allowance as you are not qualified for the 50% meals and entertainment expense referenced in your question.  The $51 is quite high because CRA generally consider $17 as reasonable but it will accept a higher amount if the cost of meals in your location is higher and under other circumstance.

Great minds....:-)
taxnano

Thx