Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kingsleykong
Returning Member

As a food delivery driver (ubereats), I want to claim my electric bike as an expense

As a food delivery driver, I want to claim my electric bike as an expense under the T2125.

Here are the problems I am struggling with:

1. Should I report on line9281 (Motor vehicle expenses (not including CCA)) or line9936 (Capital cost allowance)?
  2. I bought two electric bikes in total within the same year, my first one got stolen (and I have reported it to police with a given case number) and I bought the second one as a replacement. Therefore, in this case, can I file the stolen electric bike as a bad debts on line8590, or else how can I file it?

Thank you

1 Reply

As a food delivery driver (ubereats), I want to claim my electric bike as an expense

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

• You can deduct only the portion of your expenses related to earning income if you use a vehicle for business and personal purposes.
  • You may however deduct the full amount of parking fees related to your business activities and supplementary business insurance for your motor vehicle or passenger vehicle.
  • Keeping track of your total kilometres driven and the kilometres you drive for work will help you determine how much you can deduct. 
  • You shouldn't enter a second motorcycle as a replacement on Line 8590 if you're claiming it from an insurance company.

You can claim bad debts in Line 8590, but please read the following:

If you meet the following conditions, you can generally deduct a bad debt:

• In the previous year, you determined that an account receivable was a bad debt
  • and included it in income

Please visit the link provided for further clarifications:

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.