Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can damaged shingle replacements be included in the Maintenance section for a home office?

Last year we had damaged from a wind storm and replaced the shingles, I work out of a home office for my company (I live 600 KM from our nearest brick and morter office).

can these repairs be included in the maintenance section for my home office expenses?

if so would I include the entire amount of the repairs in the maintenance section and the software would calculate the correct percentage based on the percentage applied by the previous questions?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can damaged shingle replacements be included in the Maintenance section for a home office?

Unfortunately, only repairs relating to the home office itself (not to the entire home) are eligible employment expenses.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Unfortunately, only repairs relating to the home office itself (not to the entire home) are eligible employment expenses.

so out of curiosity how does that correlate to the following Turbotax page which seems to indicate it would be:https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/home-office-deductions-for-self-employed-and-employed-taxpayers-6388 -- specifically this portion:"You can deduct maintenance expenses if they relate to the whole home. For example, if you put a new roof on your home, you can deduct a portion of that cost as a home office expense. If the new roof cost $10,000 and your home office is 10 percent of your home, you can deduct $1,000 as a qualifying home office expense."    the roof of the home would effect every room including the office.

When it comes to claiming repairs on a home office used as a workspace-in-the-home, I always err on the side of caution. Replacing shingles can be determined by CRA as value-adding repairs - meaning that the cost would be viewed as Capital. Claiming any type of capital cost associated with a principal residence has long-term capital gains implications. To clarify, I would contact CRA directly.