Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I deduct my business-use-of-home expenses if I only work a few hours a month and not every month? How can I do that?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct my business-use-of-home expenses if I only work a few hours a month and not every month? How can I do that?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

You have to meet eligibility criteria to claim home office expenses,

If you are an employee, you must use that space to complete more than 50% of your work.

If you are self-employed, your home office must be the principal place of your business and you must use the space exclusively for business purposes on a consistent basis.

As a result, if you are an employee, you cannot deduct these expenses because you don't meet the criteria of 50%. If you are self-employed and if you meet eligibility criteria, you can deduct home office expenses.

Please visit our TurboTax article on Home Office Deductions for Self-Employed and Employed Taxpayers to learn more about home office expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

You have to meet eligibility criteria to claim home office expenses,

If you are an employee, you must use that space to complete more than 50% of your work.

If you are self-employed, your home office must be the principal place of your business and you must use the space exclusively for business purposes on a consistent basis.

As a result, if you are an employee, you cannot deduct these expenses because you don't meet the criteria of 50%. If you are self-employed and if you meet eligibility criteria, you can deduct home office expenses.

Please visit our TurboTax article on Home Office Deductions for Self-Employed and Employed Taxpayers to learn more about home office expenses.