Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kittycat

Can I file my Income taxes with Turbotax just for myself as common law? My partner already has an accountant.

Turbotax is asking me all these questions re: my partner as though I'm filling for both him and I. Did I miss something? I only want to file for myself.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I file my Income taxes with Turbotax just for myself as common law? My partner already has an accountant.

Yes, you can prepare a return without doing your partner’s as well. However, when you start your return, you need to make sure to indicate that you are preparing the return only for yourself. If you have already started your return with your partner/spouse's return included, then you’ll have to start a new one, as that option can’t be changed. Also be aware that you will still need to answer some questions regarding your partner/spouse even if you are preparing your returns separately.

To prepare your return for yourself only:

In TurboTax Online, one of the first questions you are asked is “Let's get started. Who are you preparing this return for?”. Please select “Myself”, then click continue to move on.

In TurboTax CD/Download EasyStep mode, when you indicate that your marital status is common-law/married, then it will ask you “How do you want to prepare your returns?”, and you should change the answer to “No”. In Forms mode, just don’t click the “Process spouse’s return as well” option.

What to do if you don’t know your spouse’s income? https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647950

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can prepare a return without doing your partner’s as well. However, when you start your return, you need to make sure to indicate that you are preparing the return only for yourself. If you have already started your return with your partner/spouse's return included, then you’ll have to start a new one, as that option can’t be changed. Also be aware that you will still need to answer some questions regarding your partner/spouse even if you are preparing your returns separately.

To prepare your return for yourself only:

In TurboTax Online, one of the first questions you are asked is “Let's get started. Who are you preparing this return for?”. Please select “Myself”, then click continue to move on.

In TurboTax CD/Download EasyStep mode, when you indicate that your marital status is common-law/married, then it will ask you “How do you want to prepare your returns?”, and you should change the answer to “No”. In Forms mode, just don’t click the “Process spouse’s return as well” option.

What to do if you don’t know your spouse’s income? https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647950