Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbraglin

Can I split Medicial expenses between spouses? The wife has exceeded her allowed medicial expense amount can we claim the rest on the husband?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I split Medicial expenses between spouses? The wife has exceeded her allowed medicial expense amount can we claim the rest on the husband?

I'm not sure what you mean  by "exceeded her allowed medical expense"  A claim for medical expense begins only when the amount is higher that 3% of net income.  It is a non-refundable expense, which means that it will only reduce tax payable to zero. If the husband has paid more tax, you can move the total claim over to him, but his 3% is likely much higher. You can't split it and have both spouse's claim.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I'm not sure what you mean  by "exceeded her allowed medical expense"  A claim for medical expense begins only when the amount is higher that 3% of net income.  It is a non-refundable expense, which means that it will only reduce tax payable to zero. If the husband has paid more tax, you can move the total claim over to him, but his 3% is likely much higher. You can't split it and have both spouse's claim.