Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the t4rif, box 16 amount differ from the amount on the return?

4 Replies

I'm not sure whether or not we have the same problem.
I created another similar question today titled.

T4RIF Box 16 Values don't match

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If you are using AFR, then the information that CRA has might differ from the information on your slips. You need to review the following:

• You have the same amount of T4RIF slips that CRA has, or at least the total RIFFs you have added to the total from all the RIFFs CRA has for each taxpayer. Sometimes the financial institutions send you one T4RIF slip and send CRA multiple slips for the same income. You need to check you have all the updated slips from your financial institution.

• If the RIFFs income is shared, the information might be transmitted thought AFR with the shared percentage. If one of the slips has two names on it > then you will receive half of the income and your wife will receive the other half (usually 50%).

If you still have issues after following this process, please contact our support line:  https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

I hope this was helpful

I found the solution to my problem.  It might be your issue as well.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/troubleshooting/discussion/re-t4rif-box-16-values-don...

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Yes. In two different scenarios:

If you are splitting pension with your spouse

If someone is withdrawing from RRSP or RRIF that has was a spousal contribution and did not mature in the account for 3 years > the income will attribute back to the contributor. 

I hope this was helpful