Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

cant find the "type" these medical expenses fall under?

I have chiropractor, dental, orthodontist (root canal), and optometrist (emergency eye exam) to claim but got no idea what they fall under. I can't find the answer anywhere on the gov site, or in the community forum for Turbo Tax, or anywhere on google... please help!

1 Reply

cant find the "type" these medical expenses fall under?

If the type is not one that specified in the list, you can choose other.


This CRA webpage talks what medical expenses you can claim on your tax return.

There is a searchable list a short way down the page with the most common types of expenses. Generally, if the expense was for something that was medically necessary, it’s allowed. But things that are done for cosmetic purposes are usually not deductible.


This CRA page has a searchable list of who is considered an “Authorized Medical Practitioner” in what province. You may want to check this as chiropractors are not considered “Authorized Medical Practitioners” in some provinces, so you wouldn’t be able to claim chiropractic expenses in those provinces.


And when in doubt, you can always contact the CRA directly and ask them if your medical expenses qualify. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281. If you are elsewhere you can call 613-940-8495. This page has more ways to contact the CRA:

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.