Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i have to claim court ordered child support I have sole custody of our son and my ex and I have a support order in place dated July 27 2018

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do i have to claim court ordered child support I have sole custody of our son and my ex and I have a support order in place dated July 27 2018

If all the support is child support this is not taxable.  You would still enter the information under Other Income, Spousal and Child Support Payments Received but would put the amount in the non-taxable box.  If a portion is spousal support, that is taxable and would be entered in the taxable box.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you getting just child support or is a portion spousal support?

It's strictly child support

If all the support is child support this is not taxable.  You would still enter the information under Other Income, Spousal and Child Support Payments Received but would put the amount in the non-taxable box.  If a portion is spousal support, that is taxable and would be entered in the taxable box.

Jim78

yes