Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering T2202A for a 17 year old

I have a 17 year old who was enrolled in post-secondary school for the second half of 2018 (5 months as per slip) in Quebec. Will these amounts be carried forward to future years when he becomes 18 ? On the forms does not allow me to change anything therefore assuming that this will be carried forward, just can't find where.

5 Replies

You don’t enter this T2202A on your return at all.

The student should file their own return and report the Tuition.any unused credit can either be transferred to you or carried forward. 

Sorry I meant to say on his return. He was not 18 in 2018, that was the bigger question, apologies if not clear. I was unclear of where to note that this was transferable to 2019 return.

It doesn’t matter what age. He still needs to file a return in order to report the T2202A and either carry forward the credit , or transfer some or all of it to you.
You cannot report a students Tuition directly to your own return.

Yes, I have reported on his tax return, thank you. What I was not sure of was the fact that he is under 18, therefore did not seem to find a form with that option as Schedule S is Over-18 and he was 17 last year. So in summary, is there a form for under 17 and what schedule for Federal and which one is for Quebec to transfer to a parent. Thank you in advance.

No, all Federal tax forms are the same, nothing special for any group, age-related or otherwise.
The standard Federal T1 with Schedule 11 applies Federally, not sure about Quebec. You,ll have to research that.