Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drjjbaron

Filed 2017 tax return using online version. For 2018, I want to use the download version. How do I import 2017 data to start 2018 return?

6 Replies
drjjbaron

Filed 2017 tax return using online version. For 2018, I want to use the download version. How do I import 2017 data to start 2018 return?

Apparently the answer is "no, you can't".  So now I've bought the download version, I have to basically enter everything from scratch.  This is what the Turbotax web page says:

"If you used TurboTax last year, you can transfer that tax data into TurboTax.
Doing this saves you from manually entering in information, which helps improve the accuracy of your return".  

No qualification or restriction.  So as far as I'm concerned, this is false advertising.   
drjjbaron

Since the Turbotax web page didn't qualify that transfer even by saying "depending on which version was used last year", I think I'm owed a refund.  And that goes for everyone else in a similar position.  If not, why not?  You failed to mention a condition which would have influenced my decision to buy the software.
drjjbaron

No answer to this?

Here are the ways you can request a refund: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647900

Unfortunately, you can’t transfer from TurboTax Online to TurboTax CD/Download. https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2961935

drjjbaron

Since Turbotax didn't state a limitation on the ability to transfer data between versions before purchase, which would have influenced my decision which if any version to purchase, I think I'm entitled to a refund.    If not, why not?