Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lrsslsrk

Filing taxes separately - self-employed vs standard

My husband and I usually file our taxes together using the Standard product, however my husband was self-employed last year. Am I still able to file our taxes under Standard or do I need to file his separately using the Self-employed product? Do I need to make a separate TurboTax account to file separately? WIll information from last year automatically transfer to his current tax return?

1 Reply

Filing taxes separately - self-employed vs standard

You can use Standard for both your returns even if your husband was Self-Employed. All versions of TurboTax have the ability to do Self-Employed returns. However, the Self-Employed product has an expanded interview that may make filing out that part of the return easier.

You can choose to prepare your return separately, but then you may have to some calculations on your own when it comes to some credits and spousal transfers.

Your info will still transfer over regardless of whether you prepare your returns separately, but you must both use the same account that you used in previous years. If you make a new account, you won’t be able to see your previous years’ info in the new account.