Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello! More for the future. How do I find return airfare when I have no airport but still have to travel.

I travel further to the local airport Than the destination I have to go to.
3 Replies

Hello! More for the future. How do I find return airfare when I have no airport but still have to travel.

Could you clarify your question and how it relates to your tax return?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I live in an area without an airport. To get to Edmonton for lets say medical about 400km. Now to claim that the taxform asks for the lowest return airfare.

If you need to travel more than 80 kilometers to receive medical care, you will be able to claim medical expenses such as bus, train, and taxi fares, vehicle mileage (if public transportation is not readily available), meals, parking, and accommodation if you meet the following conditions:

• You were not able to receive the needed medical care near your home
  • You took a reasonable and direct route
  • It was reasonable for you to travel to a farther destination to receive medical attention.

You will be able to claim your drive KM's from your home to the airport - and then your return airfare from Edmonton. Depending on which province you are in will determine how much they pay per KM. 

Travel expenses

Travel expenses include:

• air, train, and bus fare
  • vehicle expenses
  • meals
  • hotel or motel accommodations
  • camping fees
  • other incidental expenses such as taxis and road or ferry tolls

To calculate meal and vehicle expenses, you may choose the detailed or simplified method. Your total travel expenses equal the total of the value of travel assistance provided by your employer and the travel expenses incurred by you. Include any travel expenses paid by your employer. For more information about the detailed or simplified methods including the different rates, go to Meal and vehicle rates used to calculate travel expenses for 2023 or call 1-800-267-6999

We suggest that you call the CRA as they will be able to assist you further on what you can claim for a medical appointment. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.