Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emabel

I purchased safety clothing, welding helmet, boots and tools for work. How do I claim them.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
naztax

I purchased safety clothing, welding helmet, boots and tools for work. How do I claim them.

Hello - the only way you can claim them is if you are self employed, working as a contractor. These can be claimed as  Supplies. If you are not self employed, i.e. you are working for someone else sorry you cannot claim these items. There is a federal employment tax credit that gets calculated automatically up to $1000 (roughly) based on your employment income that covers such expenses. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
naztax

Hello - the only way you can claim them is if you are self employed, working as a contractor. These can be claimed as  Supplies. If you are not self employed, i.e. you are working for someone else sorry you cannot claim these items. There is a federal employment tax credit that gets calculated automatically up to $1000 (roughly) based on your employment income that covers such expenses. Hope this helps!

yeggal

Hi

If you are in a registered trade there is a Trades person tool deduction however you will require your employer to fill in a form.  You can find additional information about the credit on the CRA Site http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/trades/.

Thank you

sues

Can the safety boots be deducted under the Trades person too deduction if the employer signs the form?