Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garceauw

Hi, I went to Australia for a student exchange this year. I just want to know if it would be possible to expense my travel fees? Thanks!

1 Reply

Hi, I went to Australia for a student exchange this year. I just want to know if it would be possible to expense my travel fees? Thanks!

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Deductions

If you paid moving expenses for your move from Canada, you may be eligible to claim the moving expense deduction. For more information, see Income Tax Folio S1-F3-C4, Moving Expenses, and the instructions on Form T1-M, Moving Expenses Deduction. If you are moving to be enrolled in a program at a post-secondary educational institution, you have to be a student in full-time attendance in order to claim the deduction. In such a case, the moving expenses deduction is limited to the amount of scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, some prizes, and research grants that are included in your income for the year.

For more information you can call the CRA 

• 1-800-959-5525, from Canada and the United States
  • 613-940-8497, from outside Canada and the United States. The CRA only accepts collect calls made through telephone operators. After your call is accepted by an automated response, you may hear a beep and notice a normal connection delay. This services operates in Eastern Standard Time and is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm and Saturday form 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.